Skip to content

Test Cases – Why do I hate them?

Some of the testers who I have interviewed who hate test cases have provided me the list which makes them hate test cases.

Please look at the list below why test cases are being hated,

  1. Excel sheet makes my head ache
  2. Switching to excel and product to follow a test case looks like data entry work for me
  3. Writing Pass and Fail makes me feel like, “Am I really needed for this job to do?”
  4. I get scared when I get test cases to execute (Scared? Because test cases have never been clear)
  5. Quality is evaluated with the percentage of Test Cases passed
  6. Performance of a tester is evaluated on number of test cases written and executed and how many of them passed or failed
  7. While attending interviews – Interviewer asks, “Do you know the write test case?” (My answer would be, “How many seconds will it take to learn it?”)
  8. End of the day I feel, “Did I really do my job as a tester by merely executing test cases and saying Pass or Fail?”

 

Below are few comments that I have added (Names are changed),

Pratap says: I do not know why I was hired for this (Executing test cases) job. My organization doesn’t know what the meaning of “Test Engineer” is. I feel guilty of not helping my customer because my organization stops me from doing so.

Rukmini says: I have stopped thinking because my team made me not to think when I joined as a test engineer. Before, I had great ideas to implement but now I get my salary with which I am happy. Thanks to my team for making me stop thinking.

Ronak says (Test Lead): I am fed up with the process oriented testing, give me a break. Most of Test Managers speak about Exploratory Testing in conferences but they themselves follow process oriented testing (Fakers).

My few suggestion(s),

When you cannot do something good please don’t do something bad by misguiding. Educate fresh graduates about testing and guide them in a proper direction instead of you infecting them with myths of Software Testing.

SanthoshTuppad

I have been as a software tester for over 5 years. I am a hands-on tester and I've been winning bug battles & testing competitions across the world. I am a testing enthusiast, who conducts free workshops on security testing across India (Covered locations: Bengaluru, Pune, Hyderabad & Chennai. Invite him to come to your location), and monthly meets for testers in Bengaluru. I am also an avid testing blogger.

My interests include traveling, driving my SUV, health & fitness and many others. I mentor budding entrepreneurs, testers, teams in any profession.

Latest posts by SanthoshTuppad (see all)

Share/Bookmark

7 Comments

  1. Mohit Verma wrote:

    What you said here is absolutely correct as statements written here are from the real experience but the thing is how to improve the scenario.

    The problem will never solve by educating the testers only, it really needs to educate the thinking tank of the organization. They really need to come out of traditional approach and think beyond it. They should decide what they want a tester or a robot.

    Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Permalink
  2. SanthoshTuppad wrote:

    @Mohit,
    You are right with respect to management of organization changing their mindset. But, I do not think that it will be possible until and unless young minds who are guided properly become management with roles like Test Lead, Test Managers, Head Of Testing etc. Then newbie testers will be guided in the proper direction which brings the change in Software Testing community. But, it might take years to bring this change in the whole world :)

    Mohit, Your point was little bit aggressive regarding “They should decide what they want a tester or a robot.” which I appreciate. Sometimes, I do become aggressive :P. Most of the organizations now need a human who are mostly dead ( Robot at least does work much more better than humans who are like dead humans ).

    But, I am happy that there are some testers who educate other testers and fresh graduates about Software Testing without misguiding them :)

    Monday, March 22, 2010 at 12:07 am | Permalink
  3. Nandagopal wrote:

    Santhosh,

    A very good post. What you have described above is absolutely spot on. Let’s hope wannabee testers and those who are experienced understand these concepts and practice “real” testing. :)

    Monday, March 22, 2010 at 3:30 am | Permalink
  4. SanthoshTuppad wrote:

    @Nandagopal,
    Thank you for your comments. I hope this post is viewed by Test Managers, Scripted Testers so that there is some change that might or might not happen within them :) But usually good blogs are mostly viewed by good testers hehe *smiles* ( NOTE: I am not saying my blog is good or bad but for me it is good and for few testers as well, according to me ). And also bad testers can even view my blog. I don’t have any restriction but my request is to please think about how you can contribute to Software Testing community :)

    Monday, March 22, 2010 at 4:43 am | Permalink
  5. Vakkachan wrote:

    Let me put my thoughts on behalf of Outsourced Testing Services (not product or R&D related testing). Before we get very emotional about Testing, let’s be very clear what this job is all about. You have a requirement, make sure it works. Plain and simple. There is very less imagination you can apply to this job because you are not building anything. There are very few avenues for a tester to be creative especially in Web Testing stream. It is not surprising that a job like this would sap your energy. If you are the sort who has an imaginative mind, trust me you will dislike or rather despise testing. If fate has however kicked you into Testing, try to join a product based company so that the years you work on that product or domain actually make you valuable. WebTesting will not stay in India for long..its a no skill job. I know its blunt..but the sooner you accept it, the sooner you find good avenues for yourself

    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Permalink
  6. Vakkachan wrote:

    Someone on this forum suggested we build value into Testing services.
    The average life span for a tester is not more than 5 years hands on. After that he will either beg for a hands off role or he will migrate abroad and work as a who knows what there. There are no lifers in testing. For that very reason you will never have committed people to build a Testing practice in India. This work ideally should be done in China, where the people are more accustomed to long and painful hours at work.
    Testing is too laborius and painful for the average Indian (lazy and carefree) to do.

    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink
  7. @VAKKACHAN,

    Looking at your 2 comments I can say,you neither know testing nor understand testing.

    Please educate yourself. I insist you to get a mentor who can guide you properly or else help yourself.

    When I wrote this post it is to highlight the traditional heavily scripted test case approach.

    Read about Exploratory Testing which is a skillset and mindset.

    http://satisfice.com/
    http://developsense.com/
    http://testertested.blogspot.com/

    Happy learning if you are game for learning.

    Thanks,
    Santhosh Tuppad

    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 4:33 am | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *
*
*