Bug Report – NOT JUST STEPS TO REPRODUCE

One day, a tester was testing mobile phone. He kept it idle for 9 hours and after 9 hours he noticed that there was a restart of the phone that happened automatically without any human intervention. Then, he reported it as a bug with following steps to reproduce,

1. Switch on the phone
  2. Keep the phone idle for 9 hours
  3. After 9 hours you will notice a restart of Phone

Actual Result: The phone is restarting if it is kept idle for 9 hours

Expected Result: The phone shouldn’t restart

Now the report goes to the developer and he rejects the bug giving following reason,

>> The phone restarts but it doesn’t shut down and it works fine after restart <<

Tester sees this and says OKAY that’s right but… [ At this point he doesn’t know what to say ]

Here comes an important skill known as “Bug Advocacy” skills which are needed for a tester.

Now, what would I include in my bug report if I had to report the same bug,

Here is what I would mention in my bug report,

–          I would provide steps to reproduce

–          With this I would provide the information how it can be a problem

Example for the above scenario – The phone restarts after 9 hours while it is kept idle. But, suppose if a phone user has set a PIN authentication on his phone even after restart the phone doesn’t come to the home-screen as PIN is blocking it and until the user enters the PIN number he is not allowed to use his phone for making calls or receiving calls. As when it restarts he is not aware of it until he sees screen asking for PIN. Then he gets frustrated because he has missed many important calls from the time automatic restart happened. This is a high severity bug and needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

–          I would provide how it would impact the brand, profit, credibility of the manufacturer

And many other details which would make developer understand how this bug can be a high severity problem.

Now, you see that the same bug which tester had reported earlier was rejected and also you see the same which I would have reported would be considered as high severity bug.

So, bug reporting is not just about steps to reproduce and actual result and expected result.

1. Puneet wrote:

Hi Santosh, I m agree with yr point that.”bug reporting is not just about steps to reproduce and actual result and expected result.”

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Permalink
  2. @Puneet,
    >> i just want to point it out one other problem which that tis Some bugs marked “Not Reproducible” because of un-consistency BUT while client send the same bug , Dev team can easily reproduce the same even without the proper steps…. <<

You are right about it. Because CUSTOMER IS GOD. They do not question god or else god won't pay them :P. How about showing your Bug Advocacy skill in the bug report? Give much details in the bug report. You can report a low severity bug as a high severity bug if you have good bug reporting skills ( I believe that no matter low or high severity I report a bug with much details ).

But as you mentioned about developers fixing the bug when customer reports it is considered bad by me. Developers need to think about it :)

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 6:19 am | Permalink
  3. meeta wrote:

Good One …. Classifying a defect into high, medium, low or critial is very important !!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink
  4. @Meeta,
    Absolutely. The severity matters to development team whether which one matters most first for them to fix or for customers. If there are many bugs raised with high severity then there won’t be any prioritization and it will be a mess.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Permalink
  5. Selim Mia wrote:

Useful post :)
    i agree with you, “if required” there should be added more other information on reported bug but it should be concise explanation. Because long detail explanation often imperceptible to understand the actual point and also often cause to be bored to read long description.

-Selim

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Permalink
  6. @Selim,
    Agreed completely. You are right about lengthy description becoming boring sometimes. Thanks for your comment my friend :)

Cheers,

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 3:00 am | Permalink
  7. Dhanasekar S wrote:

Hi,
    I always remember lesson number 101 in Lessons Learned in software testing “When you decide to fight,decide to win” and I created my own heuristics from The God Father dialog “I’m gonna make him an offer[details] he can’t refuse[to fix]”
    while logging the bugs.And now I think can use this example as well :)
    –Dhanasekar S

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 11:04 am | Permalink
  8. @Dhanasekar,
    Hehe absolutely right :)

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 8:15 am | Permalink
  9. Lenin wrote:

Your information is very goood, because of not giving the correct impact of the issue, most of my bug were rejected.thanks you

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Permalink
  10. Bug Advocacy :)

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 2:14 am | Permalink
  11. Anand wrote:

One of the best blog i read and i agree Providing essential details are must …especiallly i liked the point
    ” I would provide how it would impact the brand, profit, credibility of the manufacturer”

I belive this what expected from every tester

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 5:35 am | Permalink
  12. @Anand,
    I am glad that you like my blog. I will try to write more good blog posts so that you keep liking them :)

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 10:25 am | Permalink

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Santhosh Tuppad and Selena Delesie, Cristina Lalley. Cristina Lalley said: RT @santhoshst: Bug Report – NOT JUST STEPS TO REPRODUCE http://j.mp/dLwlIW […]