Gmail Registration Bugs – My test report

Dear readers, you must have read my blog post before few days. I had said that I will be publishing the test report of Gmail registration form. I am publishing my report today. Please go through the PDF document below.

Click Here to view the test report of Gmail registration form.

Update on Gmail bugs

After some time I found one more bug ( Spelling mistake ).

While I was going through registration form of Gmail I saw Terms of Service. I wanted to see if there are any spelling mistakes that it is having. While going through the Terms of Service I found license written as “licence” in many places which is wrong. And also Trademark has been written as trade mark ( with a space ).

I think Google would want to fix this as soon as possible because license is not valid here because they have written it as licence and it doesn’t have any meaning for which Terms of Service might not apply.

Gmail do not know the spelling of license

Software Tester, Product Innovator, Security Enthusiast at Test Insane Software Testing Services

1. Fantastic report Santosh. Hope Google looks into it.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 10:26 am | Permalink
  2. @Sharath,
    Thank you very much for that fantastic comment :)

I feel that there are many giant bugs lying there. I will test different modules as well and publish the test reports :)

Let’s hope Google will take it seriously and look into these issues / bugs / defects :)

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 10:33 am | Permalink
  3. Tarik Sheth wrote:

Good report.
    I do not think there is a spelling mistake.
    Below is the difference between American and British english is.
    ————————-
    -ce, -se
    Nouns ending in -ce with -se verb forms: American English and British English both retain the noun/verb distinction in advice / advise and device / devise, but American English has abandoned the distinction with licence / license and practice / practise (where the two words in each pair are homophones) that British spelling retains. American English uses practice and license for both meanings.

American English has kept the Anglo-French spelling for defense and offense, which are usually defence and offence in British English; similarly there are the American pretense and British pretence; but derivatives such as defensive, offensive, and pretension are always thus spelled in both systems.
    —————————–
    wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

Also for Trade Mark and Trademark.

———————————-
    1.^ The styling of trademark as a single word is predominantly used in the United States and Philippines only, while the two-word styling trade mark is used in many other countries around the world, including the European Union and Commonwealth and ex-Commonwealth jurisdictions (although Canada officially uses trade-mark pursuant to the Trade-mark Act, trade mark and trademark are also commonly used).
    ————————————–
    Wiki link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark#cite_note-0

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Permalink
  4. @Tarik Sheth,
    Good exploring and good learning for me :) Good one. Now, the test has to be for noun and verb.

@Mandeep Singh,
    You also mentioned about it through e-mail *smiles*.

>> Hi Santosh,

i was reading your blog on Gmail registration and was a little confused about the spelling of License and Licence. therefore i googled for clarification and found this
    I am not sure how genuine the site.

thanks
    Mandeep << Thanks, Santhosh Shivanand Tuppad

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Permalink
  5. @Readers,
    As Microsoft Word recognizes “licence” as wrong spelling word it might be misguiding you when compared to British English or noun and verb. So, Microsoft Word to check spelling and grammar is good to some extent but you should even test if it is claim is right.

*Just see what if test case is written by someone for this and whole team follows the same and reports it as an issue*.

*Freedom for tester is a MUST to do a cool testing activity*.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Permalink
  6. Mohit Verma wrote:

Hi Santhosh,

I must say its a very nice report. you have safeguard every issue mentioned in the bugreport by describing proper impact of each issue.

Regarding the issues of spellings of License and Trademark, I did some googling and got the following information: (Although I found later that other readers already share their findings :))

Regarding License vs Licence: In almost all forms of English the noun is usually spelled Licence and the verb License. The exception is US English where both the noun and the verb are spelt License.

Regarding Trademark vs trade mark: The styling of trademark as a single word is predominantly used in the United States and Philippines only, while the two-word styling trade mark is used in many other countries around the world, including the European Union and Commonwealth and ex-Commonwealth jurisdictions (although Canada officially uses trade-mark pursuant to the Trade-mark Act, trade mark and trademark are also commonly used).

Source of Information:

Most Important => Good Efforts and very nice report. Keep it up buddy.

With Regards
    Mohit Verma

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Permalink
  7. @Mohit,
    Thank you very much for your exploration and updating the same via comment. People say “Google” is “GOOGLE” but there are many issues with Gmail registration page itself then think of other modules as well :)

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Permalink
  8. Nandagopal wrote:

Santhosh,

I hope Google will look into this.. Great report.

I can see some typos in your topic and comments. I’m not pointing it out – figure them out! :)

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Permalink
  9. @Nandagopal,
    Hope so. I corrected one typo which was wrogn instead of wrong.

Do you see any? :P. You should be thankful to me that I am allowing you to do what you love while reading my blog *Bugs* :)

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Permalink
  10. Kiran wrote:

There are two options. To say wah wah for the effort and the other is to share honest thoughts. You should have done basic check by referring to a dictionary before making tall claims about terms and conditions of google not being applcable with that silly observation of yours. Similar with Trade Mark. As a Tester if you do not know whats right and come to a conclusion and report it as BUG (whatever that means to you) I guess you should go back to your basics.

From your report:

Mission

Where is the full stop? You might want to learn English and know that there needs be a full stop at the end of the sentence. Else no user of your blog will take your report seriously.

Wondering whats the relation of not having a full stop in a sentence to people not taking you seriously. It’s the same as (lack of consistency) Name starting with a small letter and user saying Google sucks. Likewise, gmail.com appearing far from text field. Trust me noone will die and no two countries will go to war. What saddens me is under the guise of learning, in the name of great bug reporting & advocacy, when you try to make a mountain of a molehill it sucks big time.

Some more …

2. Newbie enters spaces as seen in the above image and clicks on “check availability”
    and he / she gets an error message “Required field cannot be left blank”

WOW !!! How many newbies do that? Forget about newbies, how many Testers even try that when they are testing?

3. Now, newbie keeps wondering when I did leave it blank. I pressed space for 6 times and I think that is not blank and you can see cursor has moved in “Desired Login Name”.

I am wondering why the grammar and english cuckoo (tester) didnt report … the button “check availability!” has small letters … and there is an exclamation mark? What does the exclamation mark mean to the user? How ill it confuse the newbie? How will AOL benefit because of this? How many millions will Google lose? How Google is a loser who could not identify this bug? How their product will be rejected because of this? How they will continue losing to Yahoo! … bacause they seem to be promoting Yahoo with the use of exclamation mark … and other stupid silly molehills ….

And please publish this.

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 4:25 am | Permalink
  11. Nandagopal wrote:

Santhosh,

Thanks – that was one of them. But check the second last sentence of the first paragraph. It says “Today, I am publishing my report today.” :)

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 6:31 am | Permalink
  12. @Kiran,
    Great comment & lots of learning for me.

[ Thanks for the Wah Wah ].

>>Your credibility is in question when you dont follow good English in your report and you want Google to take you seriously? Are you serious? < < You talked about my report which is a good thing. I do not mind if Google takes it seriously. It depends on what my mission was and what I had to achieve in given time :) There might be not more details which were added to my mission which you are not aware of. I would say my english is good but not excellent. However, if Gmail needs a detailed report ( Bug Advocacy & other details ) then I would be glad that if they pay to me to test and provide the deliverable :) >> As a Tester if you do not know whats right and come to a conclusion and report it as BUG (whatever that means to you) I guess you should go back to your basics. < < I failed here. Humans are fallible. It doesn't mean that I need to go to basics back because I know it and I still failed because probably I did not think of that test idea. >> Listing all the observations during testing activity also document the issues found < < This report was documented many days back & I wanted to publish it. My mission consisted of other things that you might not be aware of which are not written in the document. Mission might have been not much detailed report or punctuation. >> Likewise, gmail.com appearing far from text field. Trust me noone will die and no two countries will go to war. What saddens me is under the guise of learning, in the name of great bug reporting & advocacy, when you try to make a mountain of a molehill it sucks big time. < < I think you have forgot that even testers might be users of Gmail and I am. It irritated or gave me a bad image about Gmail having this kind of issue. So, I reported it. Gmail needs feedback from their users. Okay, you are a user of banking application which is vulnerable to a Security Issue & all your money is gone. Why don't you say, "Trust me noone will die and no two countries will go to war." You try to be the victim of such product :) >> Newbie enters spaces as seen in the above image and clicks on “check availability”
    and he / she gets an error message “Required field cannot be left blank” < < Many / Few / None of them - Do you have a survey report? >> Funny Newbie! I wonder if my grandma would do that. Entering no name for username and using spaces. Not sure of you understand the psyche of a NEWBIE. < < I do not know if other users might be as smart as your grandma. Do you have evidence that no newbie would do that? What makes you to make that assumption that no newbie would do? >> Sorry, only letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), and periods (.) are allowed. You forgot the context buddy. It didnt mean you can use all periods. Didnt you see earlier message that atleast one alphabetical character is required in the username. Its there upstairs in your report. And google’s claims are wrong? Haha. What claim? What is your definition of claim? Product claim? Phew … < < When did the error message say that all periods are not allowed? You talked about previous error message said alphabetical character should be there. But, what if the user landed on the error message and he / she have not seen that error message about alphabetical character? Is the purpose of error message been met? >> I am wondering why the grammar and english cuckoo (tester) didnt report … the button “check availability!” has small letters … and there is an exclamation mark? << I knew about this but I did not include it in my report :) NOTE: My report was based on context & mission which I had set for myself *smiles*. Finally, I thank you for a wonderful comment :) Thanks, Santhosh Shivanand Tuppad

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 9:20 am | Permalink
  13. @Nandagopal,
    Thanks for reporting it. I have corrected it now :)

Cheers,

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 9:23 am | Permalink
  14. Dhanasekar S wrote:

Amazing bug report,happy that I learnt something here
    –Dhanasekar S

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 10:59 am | Permalink
  15. @Dhanasekar,
    I am glad that you had some learning from my blog post :)

Thanks for your time in writing a comment :)

Cheers,

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 8:15 am | Permalink
  16. Kiran wrote:

>> Listing all the observations during testing activity also document the issues found < > Likewise, gmail.com appearing far from text field. Trust me noone will die and no two countries will go to war. What saddens me is under the guise of learning, in the name of great bug reporting & advocacy, when you try to make a mountain of a molehill it sucks big time. < > Newbie enters spaces as seen in the above image and clicks on “check availability”
    and he / she gets an error message “Required field cannot be left blank” < > Funny Newbie! I wonder if my grandma would do that. Entering no name for username and using spaces. Not sure of you understand the psyche of a NEWBIE. < > I am wondering why the grammar and english cuckoo (tester) didnt report … the button “check availability!” has small letters … and there is an exclamation mark? <<
    YOU: I knew about this but I did not include it in my report :)
    ME: What’s funny about that? Wasn’t it a “Hey Catch Me BUG”? Incomplete reporting is being a jackass and being lazy. Was your mission that as well? Not to do complete reporting to demonstrate your attention to detail until your billing rate demands are met from Google?

YOU: NOTE: My report was based on context & mission which I had set for myself *smiles*.

ME: What context? Which mission? Publish? We want to see. I am sure other Wah Wahians would also like to see (I think, in between all wah wahs, they FORGOT to do something that they do best … QUESTION) as well.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Permalink
  17. Kiran wrote:

Kiran: REASONS and JUSTIFICATIONS my friend are the first step towards failure. Mission might have been? You do not seem to be still clear of the mission you had … or are you force fitting mission now … post fact !!! Or was your mission to test without a mission in place …
    Anyways, you reported results for the readers without setting the context or sharing the mission you set forth. How good is that?

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Permalink
  18. Kiran wrote:

Kiran: WOW. So the two contexts are the same? Is it? Enlighten me.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Permalink
  19. Kiran wrote:

and he / she gets an error message “Required field cannot be left blank” < <

Many / Few / None of them – Do you have a survey report?

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Permalink
  20. Kiran wrote:

Kirna: Once again, the question is DO YOU HAVE EVIDENCE? DO YOU HAVE THE evidence how many would do that? What are the risks associated with it? Is it core to the functionality?

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Permalink
  21. Kiran wrote:

I knew about this but I did not include it in my report :)

Hey buddy! What’s funny about that? Wasn’t it a “Hey Catch Me BUG”? Incomplete reporting is being a jackass and being lazy. Was your mission that as well? Not to do complete reporting to demonstrate your attention to detail until your billing rate demands are met from Google?

Kiran: What context? Which mission? Publish? We want to see. I am sure other Wah Wahians would also like to see (I think they FORGOT to do something that they do best … QUESTION) as wekk.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Permalink
  22. @Kiran,
    Example: When there is a same issue on some portal which is not famous as Google then that is not severe. But, if it is Google it might be severe. It might bring down the credibility of Google when they have such issues.

I hope you try to understand and think for some time calmly :)

Cheers,

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Permalink
  23. @Kiran,
    The mission I set for myself means for me. I did not set the mission for others :) So, if I be specific to the mission then I think I have talked about the observations as well as issues found too ( When I say the mission was for me, it means those were issues for me ).

I did not consider the different set of readers of this report. May be for others who are not testers this might be not-usable because they were not listed under the readers list of this report :)

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Permalink
  24. >> What’s funny about that? Wasn’t it a “Hey Catch Me BUG”? Incomplete reporting is being a jackass and being lazy. Was your mission that as well? Not to do complete reporting to demonstrate your attention to detail until your billing rate demands are met from Google? <<

I wasn’t billing them nor it was a paid testing activity that I did. My report was published so I do not wanted to make changes however I would have updated next if Google took interest in asking me to give more feedback :)

Here are my few honest thoughts for you my friend,
    You seem to have over-questioning skill ( Again do not take it as negative ). My answer for your queries would be,

You need to understand what I am trying to communicate. Listening and understanding is important in communication. I hope you would take some time in understanding these.

>> What context? Which mission? Publish? We want to see. I am sure other Wah Wahians would also like to see (I think, in between all wah wahs, they FORGOT to do something that they do best … QUESTION) as well.
    If its all for “yourself” then gentle suggestion that you keep it to yourself and don’t make tall claims in the report like “GOOGLE does not know License spelling”. Come On! <<

@Kiran,
    I failed in making that claim. But you mean I have edit my post? I wouldn't do that because I want others to learn from the mistake I did unknowingly :) I made a claim and my readers proved it wrong and I agreed and learned from my mistake. Humans are fallible <- I hope you understand this statement. Let me tell you that I am not arguing on this point but just trying to make you understand what were my thoughts. But, your thoughts seem to be arguments and you do not want to understand.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Permalink
  25. >> Kiran: The question is DO YOU HAVE any report/data to back your claims? You are the boss tester. Not me. Did you watch any newbie perform registration. Did you ask any? How many? How can you CLAIM that they will be confused? Your data is as good or bad as mine? If you wanted to act like a newbie … I got to be a failed attempt … ‘coz you are not.
    Every Tom Dick and Harry can ask questions to anyone … including Google. The questions decide whether they deserve an answer or not. << Cool. So let me say this way, A tester who is a user of Gmail would try to see if usernames have spaces. Have you seen applications where usernames have spaces. Why passwords can have spaces? Think about it :) It’s not only the newbie but also even a experienced used might try it out :) Thanks, Santhosh Shivanand Tuppad

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Permalink
  26. Kiran wrote:

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Permalink
  27. >> BTW, when one pastes a colored TEXT in the comments box it doesnt seem to appear. New test idea perhaps. << Good one :) You are right about the test idea. Here are my thoughts, a. If we copy paste it in MS-Word document then it is as it is. b.If you copy paste the same colored text in notepad or some different font all the formatting is removed. c. Depends on the kind of text editor Probably, those were requirements of a customer? What are your thoughts on this? I think this should be in separate thread :) Thanks, Santhosh Shivanand Tuppad

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Permalink
  28. @Kiran,
    I learned few things from the discussion we had. The report might have said,

a. Intended readers?
    b. Whom this report is not meant for?
    c. What this report contains?
    d. What this report doesn’t contain?

However, I knew about these points but did not put in the report. These points would have made clear to the readers that even if there is some information missing then I have included it in my report saying this might be not there or this might be not covered in this report :)

I thank you for your precious time in writing comments and going through the report :)

Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Permalink
  29. Kiran wrote:

Dont need to publish this.

While all the work in learning is appreciated, some statements that are made come out as extremely arrogant. This is generic challenge for all Testers from the school. At this stage in your career, you need to understand that you are still not Einstein who will stay he doesnt mind if the world takes him seriously and start using his theories.

And its the world which should say they dont mind using your inputs. Not you. if you want the world to take you seriously, be humble, modest, to the point and businesslike.

Monday, April 26, 2010 at 12:10 am | Permalink
  30. @Kiran,
    Agreed my friend *smiles*. This discussion would be helpful for others too. Thank you very much for asking questions. But, your comments might have been little calm or not so harsh hehe *smiles*. I do not mind but some might mind is what I say :)

Monday, April 26, 2010 at 12:49 am | Permalink
  31. Mohit Verma wrote:

@Kiran

>> You should have done basic check by referring to a dictionary before making tall claims about terms and conditions of google not being applcable with that silly observation of yours. Similar with Trade Mark.
    – It is not necessary that every submitted bug will be approved. Some got rejected. before you, already many other testers mentioned this.

– we know Google hires highly educated testers which might know the Good English but perhaps they don’t know Good Testing.

>>Trust me noone will die and no two countries will go to war. What saddens me is under the guise of learning, in the name of great bug reporting & advocacy, when you try to make a mountain of a molehill it sucks big time.

– Should we testers wait for war to report an issue.

– Let me remind you one alphabetical character is mandatory if username length is 8 or more than 8. Minimum length of username is 6. It means user can create a username of length 6 & 7 without any alphabetical character.
    By the way, can you explain me why Google has put this validation.

I was wondering instead of appreciating the Santhosh’s efforts, you started to criticize him badly. We would also like to see a report from you, it will give us a chance to learn from you too.

After reading your comments, I can say one thing:
    2. Or you are working as tester in GMail team/ Google and you are thinking these are not issues because you have not found them in your testing.

Just for you and other Google devotees, I have written this: http://testingnook.blogspot.com/2010/04/google-is-also-fallible-reply.html

Please check it out.

@Santhosh – If possible send an email to this user to read the comment. I really want to know his/her views.

With Regards
    Mohit Verma

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 3:07 am | Permalink
  32. @Mohit,
    Cool comment :)

>> 1. Either you are working as developer in GMail team/ Google and you are unable to except the issues which were not found earlier.
    3. Or you may be a end user who uses the Google products daily and highly obsessed for Google products. << I also felt this at some point of time. Mohit, Your points are valid but some people do not want to understand because they want to be only talkers and not listeners. If these comments of you taken in a positive way then it might help Kiran because his statement applies to him itself about being humble, modest etc. Thanks, Santhosh Shivanand Tuppad

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 10:34 am | Permalink
  33. Kiran wrote:

ut, your comments might have been little calm or not so harsh hehe

Someone who claims that they are from the Context Driven School saying this … LOL … absurd … totally …

Efforts to be appreciated … why should I? What you do to others if others do to you … thats how you feel … defensive … protective and combative … and challenging … i rather spend my effort to do something more productive instead of shouting from the top of a molehill about how great all us testers are … and get into a rhetoric …

I am not. And its “accept”. Not “except”. Just back off,learn some English so that you can do some better reporting of bugs that the developers can put in perspective and understand.

– Should we testers wait for war to report an issue.

Rhetoric again.

LOL … For Google I wouldnt waste my time replying to Mr. Tuppad. You miss the point.

Thanks for the best tip of my life.
    and LOL. You toally miss the point. I hope you revisit this discussion when you have some grey hairs and some maturity behind you.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink
  34. Kiran wrote:

Why dont you put a note on your site saying … I will talk … you listen … and if you want to talk, only talk what I and my friends want to listen … accept that (except that actually … pun intended) … dont dare talk anything else …

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Permalink
  35. @Kiran,
    You adding 2 comments again and again we understand that what you are feeling :)

You talk nice philosophy but somewhere you miss the learning. So I hope, you won’t again feel itchy and type lengthy comments which most of them would not like to even go through :)

I would agree with Mohit’s point as well as your points too. But instead of always providing some kind of negative comments learn to be polite ( I wonder you talking about humble, modest is not polite. How matured are you? Maturity doesn’t go by age my friend *smiles*. If you say you are old and still acting like this then I must say you are still immature. I know you have answer for this again which again shows immaturity. So be polite and if you are a tester then learn to contribute to testing community in a good way ).

Think before you type the comment. I see that you are taking this discussion as you are on a war. Please do not do that. Take it easy my friend *smiles*.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Permalink
  36. Kiran wrote:

LMAO. Lets leave it at that.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Permalink
  37. Mohit Verma wrote:

>> i rather spend my effort to do something more productive instead of shouting from the top of a molehill about how great all us testers are
    – We are dieing to see what productive things you are doing. If you are not on any secret mission of FBI then please, please share it with us.
    Also, we never said that we testers are great but if you think so we will not mind either.

>> Just back off,learn some English
    – I never said that I am good in English. It was you who are teaching us the English from your first comment. Keep them coming :) I might learn few new words from you

>> Great analysis. Profound thoughts. Deep insight. Fantastic observation. In one word WOW.
    – Thanks, atleast we tried. You even didn’t try to analyse the report by Santhosh. Might be you were busy with your productive things.

>>Sure. You talked (thru blog). I listened. I talked. You dont want to listen. You still stick to your talk. You talk that I dont listen. I keep talking. For a chnage let both of us keep listening. Who will talk then?
    – Ofcourse, we want to listen you. If not, then why we are replying you back.

With Regards
    Mohit Verma

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Permalink
  38. @Mohit,
    Thanks for the support which testers need in their community :)

@Kiran,
    That was a good way of ending by saying LMAO. However, I thank you for commenting and I have learned something from this discussion ( However, discussion wouldn’t be appropriate word as there is a way in discussion ) :)

NOTE: My apologies to those if anyone felt this discussion boring which might be true and also if I talked little bit harsh which was not intentional.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Permalink
  39. @Readers,
    Finally, Google Team wrote me an e-mail saying that they have forwarded the information to appropriate team. I am glad that Google is serious even about minor issues and I thank Google for responding to my e-mail.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink
  40. @ Santhosh Tuppad,

Kiran has asked some good questions and it appears to me that you just behaved like a typical developer who tries to protect their code from criticism.

Kiran has actually helped you discover your blind spots.

I am seeing that you seem to be doing bug advocacy on every bug and that might not be good, for you and for the bug to be fixed.

If I were you, I would honestly thank Kiran and get my next report reviewed from Kiran.

@ Kiran,

You brought in some interesting things that people usually are blinded. I sincerely appreciate that.

If you know me earlier, I *was* very aggressive when I help people identify their blind spots but ever since I am growing up I have been realizing that aggressiveness doesn’t help much when helping people.

So, you might want to have said certain things out of biases. I don’t mean you were aggressive but I am asking you if you could have written the same things in a softer tone. I can understand, really understand that the passion you have might have helped you word it the way you did it. That is why I am concerned about it. Do you blog? Please give the community an opportunity to read your blog.

@ Santhosh & Kiran

This is interesting. You both have ideas that oppose each other. That is the kind of thinking that is needed when thinking critical. If you both could pair test something and make a report, that would be a very nice thing.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Permalink
  41. @Pradeep Soundararajan,
    I completely agree.

@Kiran,
    My friend, shall we test something and make a report :)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Permalink
  42. @ Santhosh Tuppad,

Just as you seem to over do bug advocacy, the smiles, *smiles* and :) also appears to be an overdo.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Permalink
  43. @Pradeep Soundararajan,
    Agreed. I will reduce it.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Permalink
  44. Gaurav Khanna wrote:

Hi,

I just want to know whether google has fixed it or not. Do you got any response mail from google ??

Gaurav

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Permalink
  45. Hi Gaurav, I did not get any response from Google nor they have fixed it. It is almost 2+ years from the time I reported.

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 5:51 am | Permalink
  46. Ranjith wrote:

Hi Santhosh,

It was great report and Google should use of it.

I see some issues in the Post comment coloumn of this blog.

I never worried about the data lengths of any four fields,since anything is not gonna affect anyone.

Issue 1)

Error shows as Email and name fields are required.

Issue 2)

I just enter comments in the comments text box and deleted everything it throws error Please fill out the required fields since my Name and email are entered.

3)Am enetring only google.com

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 5:10 am | Permalink
  47. Ranjith wrote:

Hi Santhosh,

It was great report and Google should use of it.

I see some issues in the Post comment coloumn of this blog.

I never worried about the data lengths of any four fields,since everything is not gonna affect anyone.

Error shows as Email and name fields are required.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 5:12 am | Permalink
  48. Ranjith, Thanks for the comment appreciation.

With respect to the post comment issues that you have reported, firstly thanks!

>> You got to actually worry about these too. How do you know it is not going to affect anyone. When you say -anyone- whom are referring to?< < As you see Name and Email fields are required as indicates with *,I just submitted my comment by entering only name. >> Yes, currently what WordPress does is combine both E-mail address and Name error messages as one. If one field has error which could be “Name” or “E-mail” then the same message would be shown however; based on the context it has to display error message specific to the field which requires attention. < < I just enter comments in the comments text box and deleted everything it throws error Please fill out the required fields since my Name and email are entered >> Yes, comments being required field it has to be entered. Again, it could be specific to “Comments” text area. < < I just entered website as google.com which allow me to submit the comment successfully. >> I do not see problem with this because they are validating only for prefix name followed with dot and some characters after . << I am glad that you were testing the comment section and thanks for your findings. — Santhosh Tuppad

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Santhosh Tuppad, testertested. testertested said: A cool test report on Gmail Registration page by @santhoshst : http://bit.ly/bOel8p Check PDF too: http://bit.ly/doQmhg […]

2. Google is also fallible – A reply – Testing Nerd on Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 5:26 am

[…] would like to dedicate this post to Santhosh Tuppad. It was Santhosh’s post and the comments on the post which gave me idea to write this post. The post is going to heart […]