Do you read books? Do testers know about good books?

Most of the software testers do not read books – Why? They do not have time? Or they think reading won’t help [ Yes, certification books doesn’t help ]? Or some reason that they also do not know about what it is?

I always suggest testers to read books and I get different answers and here are few,

Investment on Books,

Me : Buy this book

X : Hey, if you have that book please give it to me for few days

Me : I suggest you to invest your little money on book instead of borrowing it

[ Finally, some end up in buying the book and some in not buying that book ]

But, still I do not stop from suggesting to other testers. I hope someone might buy and read them.

One more story from Landmark, which includes a book store [ Bangalore ]. I visit Landmark often and go near the rack of Software Testing [ I just get pulled there, I do not know how ]. I see some testers just buying books related to certifications and no one knows about good books [ Say Lessons Learned in Software Testing ]. I do not mind to invest my time in explaining to someone about good books on Software Testing. When people are near that rack – I ask them are you a tester? Then if they say, “Yes” then I talk to them about certification and good books and some turn up buying the book I suggested and some do not listen and just go ahead with certification books.

In Software Testing, there is endless learning – Your learning is not restricted to anything. Reading books like Lateral Thinking – By Edward De Bono and many other books – Reading different books helping you to build your vocabulary and what not?

Few books for you to buy and read

1. Lessons Learned in Software Testing – By Cem Kaner, James Bach, Brett Pettichord
  2. Testing Computer Software – By Cem Kaner
  3. Are your lights on?
  4. General Systems Thinking
  5. Lateral Thinking – By Edward De Bono
  6. How to break Software?
  7. Nassim Taleb’s book The Black Swan [ Thanks to Abrahan Heward for pointing the missed out ]
  8. The art of Software Testing – Glenford J. Myers
  9. Perfect Software and other illusions of testing – by Jerry Weinberg

Below is  a list contributed by Ruud Cox – Thanks to him :) [ Critical Thinking/Sceptics books ],

1. Tools of Critical Thinking: Metathoughts for Psychology, David A. Levy
  2. Don’t Get Fooled Again: A Sceptic’s Handbook, Richard Wilson
  3. The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan

These are only few books that I know about but you can read other books and provide reviews on them through discussion forums, blogs and etc.

Educating testers and fresher about books,

If you know about good books that can help your friends or colleagues then please feel free to share it to them [ Example : I talked to one of my cousin about Software Testing and books that you he can refer to and kind of exercises he can do and he was impressed – He just passed out and he was referred to good resources and was guided properly, so how about you doing it ] . You might be responsible for a good change in the community. Write blogs and educate the whole world about books. Just keep spreading good things in this world.

Thanks for your time in reading this blog post and I hope this would have bought little bit change in those minds who were not reading books. If you need more details or you are not convinced then you can write to me at Santhosh [ dot ] Tuppad [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com

1. Santhosh,

Your list is excellent. I would add that I think every software tester needs to read Nassim Taleb’s book _The Black Swan_.

I wrote a review of it, here: http://www.abeheward.com/?p=15

Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 7:05 am | Permalink
  2. @Abraham,
    Good that you pointed it out. I have heard from many testers that it is a good book *smiles*.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Permalink
  3. Selim Mia wrote:

Good list of books. Also can add following books:
    – The art of Software Testing – Glenford J. Myers
    – Perfect Software and other illusions of testing – by Jerry Weinberg

– Selim

Monday, July 26, 2010 at 2:58 am | Permalink
  4. @Selim,
    Added to the list – Thanks :)

Monday, July 26, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink
  5. > When people are near that rack – I ask them are you a tester? Then if they say, “Yes” then I talk to them…

I think it’s the non-testers you should talk to about testing, just as the HR person from your previous blog entry. But this might be just me :)

To the list of books I would add “A Practioner’s Guide to Software Test Design” from Lee Copeland. Over the years I bought those big testing books, which I never fully read. Lee puts all the material I was initially interested in in a single book, which I was able to read with pleasure just in three weeks.

Oh, and of course, for the test managers you should pass a copy of Quality Software Management from Weinberg, but that might be out of print/too expensive.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 12:29 am | Permalink
  6. Thanks for your comment Markus & you are right about it that these books are important even for non-testers. And I will see that if that book is available and pass it on to the managers :)

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 12:32 am | Permalink
  7. Ruud Cox wrote:

I would add a few Critical Thinking/Sceptics books:
    – Tools of Critical Thinking: Metathoughts for Psychology, David A. Levy
    – Don’t Get Fooled Again: A Sceptic’s Handbook, Richard Wilson
    – The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan

To name just a few.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink
  8. Shrini wrote:

Books that I recently read … purely by authors and the topic. Many good books for testers do not have word “software” or “testing” in them. That makes finding such books very hard.

1. Turning Point – Fritjof Capra
    2. Tao of Physics – Fritjof Capra
    3. conjuctors and Refutations – Karl Popper (toughest book to read)
    4. Structure of scientific Revolutions – Thomus Kuhn
    5. Freaknomics –
    6. Outliers – Malcolm Gladwell (new story of successfull people)
    7. Tipping Point – Malcolm Gladwell
    8. What is life – Schrondinger – A physicists account of life. This book apparently influenced Watson and Crick (DNA) – Tough book to read again.
    9. Jonathan Livington Seagul and illusions – Richard Bach

Big enough?

so much to read … but so little time .. why can’t I become some 5 years old with the same kind of hunger for knowledge and reading?

Shrini

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 6:32 am | Permalink
  9. Thanks Shrini :)

Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 12:40 am | Permalink
  10. Giju Oommen wrote:

Some of the Books I could remember

Agile Testing by Lisa Crispin and Janet Gregory.

Books by Bob Binder, Boris Beizer.

Software Testing and Continous Quality Improvement” by William Lewis

Best Regards

Sunday, November 14, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Permalink
  11. I would like to add –
    Essential Test Design by Tobbe Ryber for testers to start with.

Monday, December 19, 2011 at 9:15 am | Permalink

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Santhosh Tuppad, Rob van Steenbergen. Rob van Steenbergen said: RT @santhoshst: Do you read books? Do testers know about good books? – http://bit.ly/cYntvl […]