My experiences about Myths

By looking at the title of this post you might feel that you know already about myths about Software Testing. This post contains myths that are covered in other blog posts also but I felt like writing it so I am. These myths have been experienced by me.

#Experience 1

I was coming from my organization in my cab and I sat beside a HR and the conversation when like this,

HR : How is your work going on?

Me : It’s going good

HR : Try to get into development

Me : Why do I need to?

HR : Testing doesn’t have growth

Me : What growth are you talking about? Money, Designation or what it is?

[ I explained him about testing and my passion towards it and said him that not to misguide people without knowing about testing ] [ HR after listening to me ]

HR : Wow, I did not know about all this

Conclusion : There are many people who think they are guiding but they are misguiding, you can see that a HR doing it but I am glad that finally I made him understood and I hope now he won’t do it with any person.

#Experience 2

I met a tester before few months and there was an event and after the event he said me that he will be doing higher studies. And I asked what after higher studies, he said he wants to be in development. I asked why development? He said that his relatives whenever they come to his home they ask what is he doing and he says that he is a QA and they say Oh QA’AAAAAAAA and now because of his relatives talking like that he wants to do his higher studies and be in development. Now, you might be interested to hear that this was the same guy whom I had met before meeting at this event and he said that there are testers in his organization who open eclipse and do something to show that they are ready to move to development and this guy was complaining about them. Now, my question is, how this guy is different from those now?

Later, he said that he wants to follow money that’s all. Wherever there is money he wants to do that.

[ I just kept quiet and said good bye to him ]

Conclusion : Do not allow others to control your life. Sometimes what you think interests you might be because that is in your mind because someone else talked to you about it and you got biased.

#Experience 3

Before few months a fresher called me and asked me that in which institute I did my course in testing. I said there are no good institutes in Bangalore which teach you real software testing and they are just making money with those slides which doesn’t teach anything and they give you big material which consists of definitions. But they provide placement and every fresher wants this and doesn’t want to learn software testing [ Very few of them think about their learning ]. I asked that person why do you want to get into testing? And his reply was,

>> I do not like coding, that’s why I want to do testing <<

[ I became little bit angry but I took patience to explain about the myth that he had ]

I said that if he does not like coding and if he thinks testing doesn’t involve coding then please do not do it. But, as he was a fresher he might have those myths because someone else might have misguided him.  So, I explained him about testing and the conversation was over. I asked him that I would coach him for free and he said he would get back to me but he did not get back to me. After many months he calls me and tells he did his course in so and so institute and asked for my help to get me a job.

Conclusion : Testing involves coding / scripting. Writing your own tools to aid in your testing activity and also help the community by providing the tools that you develop.

#Experience 4

Most of the testers that I meet ask me a question like – Do  you know any institute where they teach QTP? I ask them why QTP? Some organizations are looking for testers who are good with QTP that is why they want to learn QTP. In this context, I am not against QTP but, what happens is some of the testers like this do not know to think, apply ideas, explore and they just know QTP and hiring these kind of testers might be a huge loss to an organization.

Example : Some test can be performed with a simple utility which is of very less file size in kilo bytes. But, QTP testers do not know about the utility which can do it and he / she knows how it can be done with QTP. This tester has QTP corrupted on his / her machine. Now, QTP installation has to be done and this QTP tester keeps waiting till installation gets completed now you see if he / she had known about that utility then a lot of time could be saved and huge savings to organization. I am okay with a tester who knows QTP and has skills to explore and can do a better testing but just a scripted tester is what I do not like.

Conclusion : No tool is a god tool. Everything is about context-dependent.

1. Nice post.
    This happens severely often.
    I tried to encapsulate some of this behaviour in my post here also which is in a form of test magazine

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 12:34 am | Permalink
  2. Thanks for sharing the link Eusebiu :)

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 12:36 am | Permalink
  3. Well there are a lot of “technical consultants” that do a similar job to testers or different other positions that don’t have a bad name like the testers.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 1:18 am | Permalink
  4. >> Well there are a lot of “technical consultants” that do a similar job to testers or different other positions that don’t have a bad name like the testers. <> Also developers get bored after few years to code and become “architects” or something different. Its not healthy anyway to do code for 20-25 years continuously. <<

There is nothing like NOT healthy. Some people get bored because they are not passionate about what they are doing or they just see money. Take example where Sachin Tendulkar [ A cricketer ] is playing from so many years and he is not bored and he won't be also because cricket is his passion. If a developer is becoming architect then there is nothing wrong in it but what I feel wrong is about "NOT healthy" which you mentioned.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 1:27 am | Permalink
  5. I guess I meant by that few developers actually like coding (in a company) where you need to execute tasks and maybe there isn’t so much creativity there.
    And they get comfort in feeling better than testers.
    And sticking in that universe is not healthy.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink
  6. Rony barua wrote:

Nice posting…:)

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 12:25 am | Permalink
  7. Thanks Rony

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 6:36 am | Permalink
  8. “Testing involves coding / scripting.

Really?

Personally I think this is a myth.

I’m not saying that it’s not a good idea for testers to know something about coding, but I’ve been a tester for 14 years and my scripting skills are atrociously bad (I’m working on them, however).

In addition, I’ve known many great video game testers for whom knowledge of how to write scripts would’ve done nothing for their testing.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Permalink
  9. @Abraham,
    It’s your personal myth that you personally think that it’s a myth. Now, how do you perform automation? Just like that? How can you fasten your testing which requires repetitive work? Keep doing it and wasting your time and organization’s time? May be your organization that you worked with in these 14 years did not needed coding or scripting from you.

Tester requires more knowledge than a developer because he / she is going to test the code written by developer. How many game testers you know and you have interacted with them personally? There are many. My request to you would be do not say to anyone testing doesn’t involve coding or writing scripts because you might be spreading a myth. And, I have seen organizations who are completely automated and if a tester doesn’t know to write script or write a piece of code to test something then there is no place for him / her. I hope you would not hesitate to change your view as you were wrong or you might still continue to have that myth which is bad. And 14 years it way too back my friend – Things have changed very much and people still want to follow traditional approaches.

I would suggest you to buy a book “Lessons learned in Software Testing” by Cem Kaner, James Bach, Brett Pettichord.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Permalink
  10. Kiran wrote:

So even when you test functionality you test the code and check the internals? White Box of the Black Box? And all the testers test the code. Cool. Is there a rule that every tester should know automation? What according to you is automation? Speeding repetitive work? Thats about it? If its not repetitive I guess we dont need to automate is it? I want to test just once the load for 50000 concurrent users. I guess you can manage it manually with your definition of automation. Aint it? What if an organization doesnt required tester to code and the “repititive work” is offloaded to those set of people (called Test Automation guys) who just do “repetitive” work. Did you spare a thought if Abraham’s oragnization may be one such? That Abraham claims he didnt need much coding skills might be a case in point to learn something from and improve your myth busting capability?

And one should not tell anyone that doesnt involve coding or scripting? Why generalize? Did you forget the only word in the

schools dictionary – CONTEXT?

Tester requires more knowledge than a developer? Really? Which areas? What depth? Which technologies? Ever tried changing

projects every 6 months? And know more about .NET than a guy who has been there done that for 15 years for ex. How about

domain knowledge? You mean to say tester should know more than the domain “experts” to test better? Holy CoW! Try testing

your laptop? And the tester in you should know more than the Intel engineer or perhaps a MS/Apple Developer? Or maybe

Google? Did you know more than Google developer when you tested the form? Even if the testing done is usability? In your

short experience how many “organizaton(s)” have you seen and Which “organization(s)” are “completely automated”?

What traditional approach are you talking about? Can you elaborate? What dramatic new approach are you prescribing?

How did you derive that Abraham is wrong? And your conclusive suggestion on changing his views? It isnt that he tested 14

years back and he is testing again starting today. Did you think about the 14 years he worked (most of which while the rookies were in half pants going to school).

I would suggest to you, rather than just buying a book (as you have suggested and which you must have done by now

yourself), also read it once and get the essence of it. You can probably then think of prescribing it.

I hope you do not hesitate the change your views since you have wronged very much and you still want to establish the myths you have are THE MYTHS that anyone whould have, persoanlly. Phew!

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 10:10 am | Permalink
  11. @Kiran,
    Take some time in understanding the intention of my blog post and thanks for your time in commenting on my blog post instead of always coming back with a negative mindset. I hope you take it in a positive way.

Cheers,

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 10:19 am | Permalink
  12. Kiran wrote:

I resisted from replying. But then I did reply knowing well you would stick to your guns.

Why dont you too for a change understand the intention of my reply (there are many and I hope YOU figure it out) and instead of calling it a “negative mindset”. I hope you take it in a positive way.

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 10:24 am | Permalink
  13. @Kiran,
    Your reply cannot be taken in a positive way because your thoughts which are negative are always to comment negative and because of which they remain negative. I will approve your comments but would not waste my time in responding to them as you tend to take everything in a negative way.

Cheers,

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 10:55 am | Permalink
  14. Kiran wrote:

Like old times !!! LOL … Couple of things before I give up (as always) …

First, probably I should use “My Friend” and “CHEERS” at couple of places so that I can sound positive !!! (like Reply 9)

Second, I thought you would like to be challenged. I guess I was wrong.

Third, when you challenge someone (like Abraham) be prepared to be challenged.

Until next time … Mr. Tuppad !!!

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink
  15. Krishna wrote:

You said tester requires more knowledge than a developer because they are going to test the code written by a developer.

I have a question: Should a developer also know more than the tester since he is going to write the code which will be tested by the tester?

Monday, August 23, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Permalink
  16. @Krishna,
    There are good /bad developers / testers. Some programmers write a better code and some testers test it better. My concern was there should consistent learning. Some people say why they should learn to write code or they say they do not like coding and that’s why they want to become tester which is a myth. Now, automate the installation requires scripting instead of repetitive installation always.

Coming back to your question, my concern is a tester should have consistent learning which will help him / her to test better. This learning can be in many ways.

Due to budget and time sometimes developers might write the code to make it work but there might be vulnerabilities. Most of the testers I have seen, test the login as it logs in with correct credentials or not and they say the test has been passed [ Test case ] – But, it has SQL injection vulnerability. A tester would want to read more about SQL database to perform better tests while the cheatsheet of SQL injection are of some help.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 2:41 am | Permalink

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Santhosh Tuppad, Markus Gärtner. Markus Gärtner said: Excellent blog post on testing myths. RT @santhoshst My experiences about Myths http://bit.ly/aFzORn […]