Developing Test Data Generators

I want to enter 10,000 records in the database and then perform a test. Now, this is the time where test data generators are of good help. There are several test data generator tools like TestersDesk.com and several others. Before few days, I was testing a Desktop application and I wanted to generate test data but, I was not connected to Internet. It became difficult for me to use test data generators which are on Internet. So, internet not being there at that time became a blocker for my testing activity. There a thought came into my mind of developing my own utilities to aid in my testing activity and as I will have the source code, I will have the flexibility to modify the code to suit my requirements. There, the journey of mine began to develop the test data generators.

Currently, I am using “C” Programming language to develop these utilities. I will make them open to the public once I complete the package of some test data generators. These are command line utilities. They will be free utilities and you have the freedom to re-distribute the copies. And, if you want to make them more powerful then you can write to me to get the source code and then do modifications but still preserve the copyrights and credits. I would like to allow download of one of the utility that I have developed which is “Duplicate String Generator”. Look below for the download.

1. Hey, I remember once I too developed my own test data generator for one of my projects (search engine testing) few years back. I got it created from a developer friend to be used for my purpose (I am bad coder but a good design instructor). I needed 1000 documents and that tool helped me a lot in terms saving times.

I will try this one too.

Friday, December 3, 2010 at 11:25 am | Permalink
  2. @Ajoy Kumar Singha,

Good to know that my dear friend. More to come – Stay tuned!

Friday, December 3, 2010 at 11:28 am | Permalink
  3. saritha wrote:

Santhosh,

Good Idea.

Do you have any other scripts to generate the data?

Friday, December 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Permalink
  4. @Saritha,

Currently, I am writing my own utilities. I will update and create a page from where you can download the test data generators in future.

Friday, December 3, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Permalink
  5. Sudha wrote:

Santhosh
    Thanks for sharing this uitlity. I downloaded and tried using it, gave a string and entered quantity and hit enter, it prints the duplicate string and instance gets closed immediately, unable to use the duplicate strings generated. Is there anything I am missing while using this utility?

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Permalink
  6. @Sudha,

First open command prompt [ Start -> Run -> Type “cmd”

Then navigate to the directory path where you have placed the duplicate_string_generator.exe file.

Then type the exe file name and now you can generate the duplicate strings and the window won’t get closed.

Cheers!

Monday, December 13, 2010 at 4:31 am | Permalink
  7. Sudha wrote:

Thanks Santhosh.

Monday, December 13, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Permalink
  8. @Readers,

You can use redirection to redirect the output to *.txt or *.xls format or anything that you like but, formatting would go wrong with some of the formats.

EXE name >> output_file_format

I hope this utility will be helpful for you.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Permalink
  9. I would call this ‘Duplicate Word Generator’ as because when I try with a sentence (with spaces), it doesn’t give me opportunity to enter the quantity. Instead it just prints my first word 35 times. It works fine when there is no SPACES in my input string.

Anyway, I am using Win7 (64 bit).

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 8:24 am | Permalink
  10. Right. That’s a known bug. I need to handle it and I will release the next version with the fix as soon as possible. Till that fix you might want to call it as Duplicate Word Generator instead of Duplicate String Generator :)

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 9:45 am | Permalink
  11. sowjanya wrote:

Refer Random Data Generator for generation of random data based on length specified.

Inspired by testers desk and tried a different generator which is not available in testers desk.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 12:36 am | Permalink
  12. Thanks Sowjanya. I will work on it and release it for FREE download in the upcoming months.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 12:45 am | Permalink
  13. sowjanya wrote:

@santhosh:
    Sure you can package every thing and give out a big bang test data generator.
    That was a small contribution from my side.

Do visit my blog:

Not much shared but started to share some thing when ever time permits…

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 4:20 am | Permalink
  14. @Sowjanya, I read your blog. Good work :)

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Santhosh Tuppad, Santhosh Tuppad and Santhosh Tuppad, Ajoy Singha. Ajoy Singha said: RT @santhoshst Developing Test Data Generators http://j.mp/gl4JCZ […]

2. […] http://tuppad.com/blog/2010/12/03/developing-test-data-generators […]