Wake up and act

In Software Testing world, I see most of the people talking about definitions, certifications like ISTQB etc. but, what does it help in? I would laugh if it is just for getting jobs? Here customers are fools or people in management are fools that they are encouraging these certifications like ISTQB which have multiple questions and you tick one of them & finally wait for results to see if you have passed or failed – Laughing out Loudly.

Some of the testers, while sending their resume write in the e-mail that, “I am ISTQB certified” & my response would be, so what? Have you got skills to demonstrate?

Sometimes I think why people want to do these certifications despite knowing that it won’t help them to do better testing or educate themselves about testing craft. I see discussions where some person asks, “Which certification is better ISTQB or CSTE?” Personally, for me it is like asking “Which is less harmful? Carbon-dioxide or Carbon monoxide? There is some person who says, “ISTQB certification is good, it is not hard to pass, this is a material, go through this and you can easily pass it” – Wow, what a state these set of professionals are into.

While writing this blog post, I see Anna Hazare [Google it] in the news everywhere who is working to uproot the corruption from India. I feel there is really a need of Anna Hazare in Software Testing to remove these kinds of certification weeds which doesn’t teach anything but, wastage of precious time and efforts thereby, not helping customers or helping this world to become better.

To,

Readers: If your organization is forcing you to do so, have you tried to oppose them? Have you questioned them? I know that some of you might have tried doing it and gave up. It’s as simple as how change can come when all are united. Unity is required and there must be majority of testers who would oppose such practice where there is no value. You got to write blogs and educate the testers around the world.

Certification sellers: One simple question – How would your certification help for customers? How would your certification help the end-users? How would your certification help testers to do better testing? Do you have answer? If you don’t have, then think about uprooting such kind of certifications just like corruption or try to re-design the certification stuff to sell it where it adds value to people who want to take certification.

Newbies: Learn to test better, read books on software testing [Not those theoretical text books where at the end you do not understand anything at the end], read books on Lateral Thinking, Critical Thinking and more, Interact with passionate testers, don’t blindly believe anything said by anyone, write blogs, educate your juniors about software testing, coach newbie’s on software testing.

What world needs are better testers who can test better and rock.

1. I am 100% agree with you.There is no use any certification when you doing testing.Testing means You need to think from user mind not as a expert.I don’t think so any test/certification give that kind of education.

Monday, April 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink
  2. Anonymous wrote:

Here is some free advice for you Mr Santhosh Tuppad: The article you published on STPro is good because it helps improves the craft but what you have written above doesn’t help one bit.

You appear to be spreading hatred through this blog post. You should consider doing what you are good at and leave the “I think you should do this” to experts.

You are known for testing skills, be known for that. Don’t try to enter doing things that others are doing.

You maybe wasting your excellent potential with such blog posts.

Monday, April 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink
  3. Prashanth wrote:

@Anonymous: Perhaps you should put up your real name! I am wondering why you are getting offended by the blog. I find the whole blog dead on accurate!

Just like a BE degree certificate doesnt guarantee that one is an engineer, a certificate in testing doesnt guarantee that one is really good in testing.

I dont think Santosh is wasting his potential with such blogs, perhaps you are really wasting your potential getting offended by blogs like this. I guess you are one of those lousy crappy useless testers with a certificate! Perhaps you need to get real about yourself!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 4:27 am | Permalink
  4. Marcelo wrote:

Hi, Santosh!

Greetings from Brazil!

I came upon your web site today and I found it very useful, specially the Resources page.

Regarding the certifications, I agree with you. There is a certification industry in IT world, not only testing certifications, but also, Scrum certifications, Java certifications and so on…

About ISTQB, I’ve read an interesting article about how it is seen as a waste of money and time and at the time I finished reading it, I changed my mind about this particular certification. Because it was never meant to evaluate the testing level, but to give a common ground on testing terms, this is why people study a Syllabus.

Here’s the links:

Keep up with the great work!

Best regards,

Marcelo

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink
  5. Hi,

I wrote a post the other day about criticism and feedback into my blog. I like the line of thought you have here. The point is not to bash the certificate but question it to make it better.

I was confronted today by a headhunter who said that “I like that you have the ISTQB certificate”. It just meant that he did not understand testing and chose people with the certificate to be interviewed.

As a “certified tester” (saying that makes my skin crawl) I know what is the path of excellent testing. I can tell you that it is not weaving the cert in the air and shouting “I’m a professional tester!”. It’s about getting the job done!

BR, Peksi

PS. I like your blog. Jari Laakso suggested me to read it and I will!

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 3:08 am | Permalink
  6. Gagan Talwar wrote:

I agree with you and I hate such certifications. Even when some interviewer asked me I just simply say what If I have certification and not good in testing.

Its like daily soap.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 2:07 am | Permalink
  7. Maiya wrote:

Very Nice Article Santhosh. But it’s hard to remove this mentality in a organization. My manager always ask to do certification. I know it’s not useful for me only useful for the organization to showcase they have these many certified testers so they can get business…

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink