I am not sure if this kind of contest has been launched in the past. Without thinking about it, let me welcome you all testers to this contest. The idea behind this contest is to know the thoughts of tester in various contexts which you can see below.
There are 18 questions / contexts which you might want to comment on or answer for. Not all are mandatory and if the question or context doesn’t apply to you then you can skip it with a proper reasoning. Example: I have not done check automation before. Remember that it need not be appropriate answers for the questions or contexts. If you think you can add value to this contest in much better way by talking about different things around the context then that would be something that I call awesome.
Without much ado, Santhosh Tuppad WELCOMES YOU TO THE SHOW :) I wish you a happy and joyful ride in the learning and this contest.
Here you go,
- What if you click on something (A hyperlink) and to process or navigate to that webpage you need to be signed in? Currently, you are not signed in. Should you be taken to Sign up form or Sign in form? What is the better solution that you can provide?
- Using “Close” naming convention to go back to the homepage is good or it should be named as “Cancel” or it is not really required because there is a “Home” link which is accessible. What are your thoughts?
- Logout should be placed on top right hand side? What if it is on the top left hand side or in the left hand sidebar which is menu widget like “My Profile”, “Change Password” etc. – Is it a problem or what is your thought process?
- Current design of forgot password asks for username and security answer and then sends a link to e-mail inbox to set new password. How does “security answer” increase the cost of operations? Also, what questions do you frame for security questions?
- If you had to design “Forgot Password” working, how would you do it and why? You are free to give different many functional designs.
- There is neither account lockout policy nor captcha for the login or security answer forms; what kind of problems do you see with the current implementation and what do you propose?
- Well, it is about context and there are no best practices in general. What are your thoughts on usage of captcha? Where should they be used and why?
- If you are the solution architect for a retail website which has to be developed; what kind of questions would you ask with respect to “Scalability” purpose with respect to “Technology” being used for the website?
- How do you think “Deactivate Account” should work functionally keeping in mind about “Usability” & “Security” quality criteria?
- For every registration, there is an e-mail sent with activation link. Once this activation link is used account is activated and a “Welcome E-mail” is sent to the end-users e-mail inbox. Now, list down the test ideas which could result in spamming if specific tests are not done.
- In what different ways can you use “Tamper Data” add-on from “Mozilla Firefox” web browser? If you have not used it till date then how about exploring it and using it; then you can share your experience here.
- Application is being launched in a month from now and management has decided not to test for “Usability” or there are no testers in the team who can perform it and it is a web application. What is your take on this?
- Share your experience wherein; the developer did not accept security vulnerability and you did great bug advocacy to prove that it is a bug and finally it was fixed. Even if it was not fixed then please let me know about what was the bug and how did you do bug advocacy without revealing the application / company details.
- What do you have in your tester’s toolkit? Name at least 10 such tools or utilities. Please do not list like QTP, LoadRunner, SilkTest and such things. Something which you have discovered (Example: Process Explorer from SysInternals) on your own or from your colleague. If you can also share how you use it then it would be fantastic.
- Let us say there is a commenting feature for the blog post; there are 100 comments currently. How would you load / render every comment. Is it one by one or all 100 at once? Justify.
- Have you ever done check automation using open-source tools? How did you identify the checks and what value did you add by automating them? Explain.
- What kind of information do you gather before starting to test a software? (Example: Purpose of this application)
- How do you achieve data coverage (Inputs coverage) for a specific form with text fields like mobile number, date of birth etc? There are so many character sets and how do you achieve the coverage? You could share your past experience. If not any then you can talk about how it could be done.
Winners and Prizes
I will be giving out 3 prizes and I choose the winners. I take liberty to not give any reasoning behind why I chose the winner and not the other one. It is solely my decision.
1st Prize: Lessons learned in Software Testing, Six Thinking Hats and General Systems Thinking (Total: 3 Books)
2nd Prize: Lessons learned in Software Testing, Six Thinking Hats
3rd Prize: Lessons learned in Software Testing
Who can participate?
This contest is applicable to the testers who are based in INDIA only however; for participation with the individual interest even testers outside INDIA can participate but, eligible testers for winning prizes will be only from India.
The above is not a strict disclaimer, it is because of the charges applied for sending the prizes and also I am not pretty aware of those things as of now. If it becomes possible to send the prizes then the decision could be changed anytime and winners worldwide would be chosen.
How to submit the answers?
You can do that by commenting here in this blog post itself. Or else you could send even the document (Send it to Santhosh.Tuppad@gmail.com) if you do not want others to read your answers till the competition is over. I leave the decision to you, whichever is comfortable for you. However, once the results are announced, I would add your answers in the comment section which would be public to others.
The contest starts from today and ends exactly after 1 month from today. I wish you all the best and let us see who can win this contest.
NOTE: Results will be announced as a blog post in this blog itself after a month.
My interests include traveling, driving my SUV, health & fitness and many others. I mentor budding entrepreneurs, testers, teams in any profession.
Latest posts by SanthoshTuppad (see all)
- Mobile App Testing at Test Insane Software Testing Services - September 3, 2014
- Why OCD sucks for me/entrepreneur/anyone? - August 18, 2014
- DIY: SMART TIPS TO TEST! - July 1, 2014